A real waterproof smart backpack is not just a simple waterproof effect. When many backpackers go out to travel, it is common to walk through the mountains into the forest or spend the night in the mountains; when going up and down the mountains, backpacks are easily scratched by branches. Therefore, in addition to waterproofness, the wear resistance of the bag is also a very important purchase direction.
The waterproof bag is made of waterproof fabric to achieve the waterproof function. Waterproof fabric means that the surface of the fabric is generally treated with a waterproofing agent, or the surface of the fabric is coated with plastic, PU, PVC, PA, etc., and finally can become umbrella cloth, tent cloth, luggage cloth, schoolbag cloth, hat cloth, bath Curtain, car cover or cargo covering cloth, etc.
(1) Think about the type of your itinerary
The first condition for deciding a suitable waterproof travel bag is to be able to match the type of activities you are engaged in, and to consider.
1. Length of travel days;
2. The number of times used in a year;
3. The type of sports you engage in in outdoor activities;
4. What area will be explored;
(2) Decide on the basic style of a waterproof travel bag
Ⅰ. Soft waterproof bag: small-medium-sized waterproof bag without internal support structure
1. The price is cheap and easy to buy;
2. It is portable and does not occupy volume.
1. The capacity is too small to satisfy even basic overnight activities;
2. Cannot comfortably carry large stuff.
Ⅱ. External frame type waterproof bag: The fixed frame type structure can evenly distribute the equipment between the shoulders and hips. The waterproof bag body and the carrying system are attached to the external frame.
1. It can provide huge carrying capacity on easy to medium difficulty routes;
2. There is a lot of storage space inside the waterproof bag body, with convenient compartments, side pockets, and outer pockets to facilitate packing stuff;
3. Larger things such as tents can be hung on the outer frame of the backpack
4. Because the back of the body and the back frame are lined with a breathable mesh belt, it has good breathability and is more ventilated and dry to use;
5. Compared with the inner frame waterproof bag of the same size, the price is relatively low.
1. Larger, wider, and heavier;
2. The center of gravity when the outer frame waterproof bag is filled is obviously relatively high, and it is difficult to maintain balance in difficult terrain, especially when climbing rock walls ;
3. Limited space for head movement when carrying the backpack.
Ⅲ. Inner-frame waterproof bag: There is a structural support system inside the main body of the large travel backpack to effectively distribute the weight of the backpack evenly between the shoulders and hips.
1. The adjustable carrying system can be adjusted according to different body types, which is convenient and comfortable to use;
2. The smooth appearance with streamlined contour has more range of activities and free stretch elasticity in difficult terrain or cramped and narrow space;
3. The close-fitting design can move the center of gravity of the packaged weight with the center of body weight, making it easier to maintain balance.
1. The main compartment of the waterproof bag is limited and it is not easy to pack;
2. Pack carefully to avoid the embarrassment of being unable to find the stuffs temporarily;
3. Because it is attached to the back, it has poor ventilation, and it is easy to sweat.
4. The price is generally high
(3) Decide on waterproof bag material
Using PU-coated nylon fabric (for example: PU-coated 450D polyester, 210D nylon), it has the functions of waterproof, anti-drying, abrasion and tear resistance. Whether a waterproof bag is durable or not, the fabric is the main determinant.
(4) Determine the size
Below 30 liters: small waterproof bag, suitable for general hiking in the suburbs;
30~55 liters: multi-purpose waterproof bag, mostly used for rock climbing, river tracing, suburban mountain or weekend camping;
55~80 liters: a wide-purpose large waterproof bag, used for mid-level mountain and high mountain walking;
Above 80 liters: Expedition-type large waterproof bag, long-day long mountain walks, overseas expeditions.
(5) Consider the appearance and function of the waterproof travel bag design
Once the correct style and size are determined, the next step is to compare the individual design differences between each waterproof bag. The convenience of packaging should make the waterproof bag easy to organize, and it is convenient to pack stuffs into waterproof bag.
Most modern waterproof bags emphasize the multi-functional design to add more equipment or technical performance. For example, the side ditch bag can hold column-shaped equipment such as camp poles, mountain knives, trekking poles, etc., and the extended bag can increase the waterproof bag capacity and strengthen Waterproof (snow) function, crampons and sleeping pads can be attached to the crampon belt on the top cover.
The use of big backpack has to pass the multiple tests of time, high pressure, so it is very important to find a lightweight and wear-resistant material! At the same time, attention should be paid to whether the sewing thread is firm, whether the zippers and openings are reinforced, whether the bottom of the waterproof bag is reinforced with double-layer treatment, and whether the contact point between the strap and the main body of the waterproof bag is strong enough or not.